Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Studio Tour: Dante Carlos

I've posted about Dante before on this blog so you all know how great my brother's work is and how proud of him I am.  He has this natural ability to take something you never knew you would like and use it to make something you love. It is as if his ideas come out of nowhere but now will be on your radar forever.  There is such a strong sense of play and yet it feels somehow perfectly restrained. It would be remiss of me not to say that so much of his taste and his work has informed so much of mine. 

 Dante describes his process as: "I read a bunch of things online or in books, and then start generating ideas while watching a ton of really bad television, like murder she wrote, or 24. There's a pizza in there somewhere." But that is his practice at its simplest iteration. 

When you walk through his home/studio, you can see his inspiration, reference materials and interests everywhere in stacks of books, prints taped to the wall, his music collection, little interesting arrangements tucked into corners. Everything is surprising, lovely. His collection is of the high and the low -- gay and straight erotica to maps to car engine diagrams to various other cultural debris.  A mixture both strange and informed, just like his work. 








See all the images on my site or on Flickr

2 comments:

  1. what your brother does is really amazing. Thanks to you I discovered his work and since then I have been following him! So thanks for that too!

    ReplyDelete